Sunday, July 1, 2012

More Technology Camp Activities and Another Freebie

I talked about Technology Camp a few weeks ago and mentioned that I would revisit it. Check it out here, in case you missed it (and the bird poop painting!).

Anyway, we did lots of projects throughout the week and acted like the true scientists that we are! In addition to the bird poop painting, some other activities we did were a moldy potato experiment, kept a science journal, played a few games, explored germs and the importance of proper hand washing, tested diaper capacity and a few others! At the beginning of the week we went over how to hold a scientific discussion and respond in a science journal. The kids really soaked this up and did such a great job with it! We held some GREAT discussions--they sounded like little professionals!! To help scaffold their thinking and organize their thoughts, I wrote a few sentence starters on a chart (pictured below; sorry, I did not spend the time to make these charts as cute as they deserve to be--I'm a little embarrassed!):



I typed up these sentence starters on cards (so they can be displayed in a classroom) and even added a few more starters. The cards can be displayed on a bulletin board. I also made a reference sheet for students to put in science journals. Take a peek below--if you like it, click on it get your own free copy!





14 comments:

  1. I love your science sentence starters. I am going to start a science notebook this year so these will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These science sentence starters will be very helpful. I love a visual display. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ΡΌ Lori
    Teaching With Love and Laughter
    luvyorkies@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute and helpful idea. I really like "I see patterns in..." and "This relates to...." I can see this being useful in lots of curricular areas. Pinned it! Thanks!
    ❤Dragonflies in First ❤

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your cute science sentence starters chart!! Thanks for sharing your sentence starters with us! :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  5. Teaching science in 4th grade is a big deal in Arizona because it's on the big End of Year state test, never to be seen again until 8th grade. Thanks for the awesome freebie, will definitely use these in my classroom next year. Also, glad to find another 4th grade teacher!

    Your newest follower :)
    forkin 4th

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your science starters. I printed them for my classroom, but want to make a title for them. Can you tell me what font you used in making the first few pages (the letters with the dots)??? Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them!! The font is Janda Scrapgirl Dots and I got it from dafont.com.

      Delete
  7. H! I am so excited to have found your blog. I would like to award you the One Lovely Blog award. I hope you have a wonderful Friday.
    Amy@www.adventuresinteaching.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooohhh! I love the science sentence starters! Our school was converted to a STEM school last year and these would be great to post in the lab! :)

    I've given you an award. :) Stop by my blog to check it out!

    First-Graders from Outer Space

    ReplyDelete
  9. New follower here! Love your blog! I'm a second year teacher 4th grade teacher and I love looking for inspiration from others :)

    Katie
    Rock and Teach

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this! I am your newest follower!!

    also...

    I was wondering if you could help me out! I am having a discussion about your TOP 5 favorite books for middle schoolers! Come join me!

    Mrs. Crouse @ {6th Grade} All-Stars

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing!!
    Peggy
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the freebie! This is awesome!
    Amanda
    The Teaching Thief

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am going to feature this resource on my blog www.sciencegal-sciencegal.blogspot.com this weekend! I love it....

    ReplyDelete